Thursday, November 10, 2011

Is knowledge dangerous?

      Last week I developed a sore throat and started getting a few white patches on the back of my throat, along with a runny nose.  It didn't turn into anything major (thanks to the tried-and-true remedy of warm saltwater gargles), but before I was better someone in one of my classes asked me if I was getting sick so I mentioned it to them.  It turns out that they too are interested in a medical career, and made a comment about how, once you start learning about different diseases, you turn into a hypochondriac.  I was somewhat taken aback by this, but didn't pursue it further since class was about to start.  Later, I gave it some thought, and realized that there was some validity to it, but that it misrepresents the reality, at least for me.

      It is true that knowing a great deal about an issue - or, in my case, more than the average person but not nearly a great deal - can cause paranoia about that issue.  However, I find comfort in knowing about an issue, particularly a health related one, even if it is as simple as a sore throat, because it means that very few things will take me by surprise and I know what to expect and what indicates a need for actual concern.  In my opinion, knowledge can lead to power and ignorance can lead to fear.  For most issues, I would rather know the details than be left in the dark about the specifics.  I am likely in the minority on this as more often than not people say that they don't like knowing the details of a disease or situation; a biology teacher mentioned that her elderly father was having heart trouble and the fact that she understood how the heart functioned made the whole situation scarier for her.  While I understand that fearing for the worst can be exacerbated when you know how bad things can get, that view should be tempered by understanding what can correct the issue and how things can be fixed and turn out for the better.  I guess that it comes down to personal opinion, but I feel that the power of knowledge will always outweigh the worries that come with it or the fear that comes without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment