Friday, December 9, 2011

One Semester Left!

      Today was the last day of classes for the semester, and even though I'm excited, the semester is far from over - finals are lurking around the corner.  Adding to my excitement is the promise of a spring semester with many classes that I'm looking forward to taking, as well as a Christmas break full of work and a family trip to Florida!!  Many of the classes that I will be taking are directly related to my schooling as a medical technologist; they are microbiology (with lab), biochemistry II, immunochemistry (with lab), two med tech seminars, cancer biology, and biomedical ethics.  The other class that I am taking is called Age of Cicero, I choose it in part to complete my core requirements.  Canisius is not offering micro, so I will be taking it at Medaille College, a smaller private school that shares a border with the Canisius campus.  Below, I detail the way in which the various classes I am taking will prepare me for my clinical year.
      First up is Biochemistry II, the continuation of a class I am currently taken.  It will cover topics related to cellular metabolism, an area that will be useful for tests like metabolic panels, cholesterol levels, and chemistry tests in general.  Micro will obviously be useful in that department of the lab; the course will cover various types of pathogens, particularly bacteria, and the various isolation techniques, especially cultures and sensitivities.  These tests can be run on blood, urine, wound swabs, aspirates, cerebrospinal fluid, and a number of other samples from the body.  Immunochemistry will cover various types of immunological responses and proteins.  These topics will be helpful in determining pathogen sensitivities, as well as in serology and other immune tests.  The med tech seminars (taught by Marjorie Shanks) will cover the various departments of a hospital lab, including chemistry, hematology, and blood bank.  Cancer biology is an in-depth course looking at the causes and effects of cancer on a cellular level and will hopefully help me secure a job at the Lipson Cancer Center as I discussed in my most recent post.  Biomedical ethics discusses the moral and ethical implications of a variety of medical issues, such as abortion, genetic testing, and assisted suicide.  Even though it is not related to the medical field, Age of Cicero is designated as an advanced writing intensive class and will hopefully help me improve my writing abilities.  Although taking 22 credits will keep me very busy, I am hopeful that the excitement of the material will keep me going and I am sure that it will all be worth it in the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment